Position: Senior / Intermediate Mechanical Estimator
Reporting to: Estimating Manager / Commercial Director
Status of post: Full-time permanent
Salary: Remuneration Package will be commensurate with responsibility and experience.
- Preparing clear and precise tender bids in their various forms.
- Protect the Company commercially / contractually at tender stage and generally thereafter in order to achieve cost and commercial certainty.
- Share the overall responsibilities for future and current requirements of the department and the future direction of the Company.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Participate in the processes of securing new work including making approaches, applications, bids and proposals.
- Participate in the development of jobs won through to the contract stage by liaising with designers, contracts managers, and other interested parties.
- Source the best supply deals and review both new and existing suppliers / specialists.
- Advise and assist on forms of contract, advising the Estimating Manager.
- Work closely with our customers and clients to best understand their requirements and ensure that these are being delivered, building meaningful lasting relationships in the process.
- Ensure that we deliver to our expectations, without causing or encountering surprises and market the company, through your actions, in a way that maximises our opportunities and standing in the industry.
- Maintain a positive can do attitude and participate wholly as part of the Commercial team.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of the market place.
- Participate in PQQ’s / Proposals.
- Regularly follow up tenders to gain insight and/or further opportunities.
- Avail of every opportunity to look after our customers.
- Participate in Value Engineering where necessary.
- Liaise and communicate with sub-contractors, vendors and suppliers to prepare tenders in a timely manner.
- Understand and analyse Electrical, Structural, Architectural and other related drawings and schematics.
- Prepare tender offers from only outline info for various RIBA Stage Design and Build projects as well as traditional specification and drawings.
- Meet with and lead external M&E consultants in developing D&B tenders, where necessary.
- Prepare QSORs
- Foster commercial awareness
- Care and attention must be given to each project, with a holistic approach to each assignment
- Care and attention to the customer, both internal and external “customers”
- Care and attention to the QA and H & S processes
- Care of all the people involved, both internal and external
- Demonstrate an innovative approach to each project
- Courtesy and respect for each team member
- Good personal organisation, honesty, communication, ownership, reliability and dependability are essential senior level qualities.
- Behaviours are as important as the results.
Attainments and Attributes
To include, but not restricted to, the following:
- Is a self-starter.
- Is positive in all dealings with the Directors, Senior Management team and staff.
- Sees our customers as key stakeholders and provides a level of support that ensure a genuine “partnership” with these customers
- Has a “can-do” approach to work and a willingness to learn, assist and mentor.
- Able to support the company to achieve its strategic objectives through the company’s values, individual and group goals, reinforcements and systems.
- Inspires, develops, mentors junior team members
- Expressing ideas effectively in individual and group situations.
- Expressing ideas clearly in both verbal and written communication using structure, grammar, language and terminology appropriate to the characteristics and needs of all areas within the company.
- You will be able to demonstrate a sound technical knowledge
Innovation / Continuous Improvement
- Working closely with both the Commercial Manager and other team members to identify creative and effective solutions to work situations that will deal with organisational challenges and opportunities.
Planning work and organisation
- Being organised and structured in planning their approach to their own personal work assignments and that of the other members of their team.
- Ensuring optimum allocation of resources.
- Setting high goals or standards of performance for themselves; Imposing standards of excellence on themselves rather than having standards imposed by others.
- Being dissatisfied with average performance and aiming for excellence.
- A proven record and ability in winning multimillion pound M&E tenders.
- Good IT systems knowledge and experience. Competent in the use of MS Excel/Word/Outlook, and Estimating costing software.
- An ability to build up and foster excellent working relationships with the individuals you come into contact with.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written and an ability to communicate information effectively to different audiences.
- Attention to detail and the ability to produce accurate and timely information and to organise resources and workload to achieve set objectives even where there are conflicting demands and priorities.
- Experience of leading more junior staff and to be able to motivate and mentor other team members to maximise their potential.
- Ability to work within the aims and values of Harvey Group; these being ‘Integrity, Innovation, Care, Safety, Environment and Quality; and to compliment/bring best practice to these values in everything you do.
- A technical qualification in Building Services (Mechanical)
- Time served - Mechanical installation background
- Approximately 5 year’s previous experience in a similar role.
To Apply, simply email your CV & cover letter to email@example.com or alternatively send via post to: Harvey Group PLC, 14 Glenwell Road, Newtownabbey, Co.Antrim, BT36 7RF.
The closing date for applications is Friday 29th September 2017.